Clydesdale visit Tampa for Gasparilla Weekend 2023
Tampa, Florida – January 25, 2023 – The world-famous Budweiser Clydesdales, the symbol of quality and tradition for Anheuser-Busch since 1933, are scheduled to make several appearances in the Bay area through February 12th, including one at the Gasparilla Pirate Fest. Additionally, the Clydesdales will also deliver beer to a lucky consumer’s home on Gasparilla eve.
The eight-horse hitch will be harnessed and hitched to the famous red beer wagon and will be part of the traditional Gasparilla Parade of Pirates in Tampa, on Saturday, January 28th, from 2 pm to 5 pm. Tampa Bay consumers will have the chance to view the Clydesdales wagon ride down historic Bayshore Boulevard – amidst piratic costumes and festive music.
On Gasparilla eve, 2 pm, Friday the 27th, the “Gentle Giants,” as they are often referred to, will crash a house party and deliver cases of Budweiser. Consumers are invited to watch the beer delivery in person, as they stage at the Winn-Dixie parking lot (8837 N 56th St, Temple Terrace, FL 33617) and head to the winning consumer’s residence at 833 E River Dr, Temple Terrace, FL 33617. Please note that there will not be any street parking available, and those that attend to view the delivery are advised to park at Winn-Dixie or use ride share.
The list of stops by the Clydesdales include;
- Friday, January 27 – 2 pm till 4 pm, staging Winn-Dixie parking lot (8837 N 56th St, Temple Terrace, FL 33617) and then delivering Budweiser beer to a lucky consumer at 833 E River Dr, Temple Terrace, FL 33617
- Saturday, January 28 – 2 pm till 4 pm Gasparilla Pirate Fest on Bayshore Blvd in Tampa
- Wednesday, February 1st – 4 pm till 6 pm, 6192 Gunn Hwy, Tampa, FL 33625 (Walmart, Thomas P’s Bar and Patio, The DripBar)
- Friday, February 3rd - 2 pm till 4 pm, 25535 Sierra Center Blvd, Lutz, FL 33559 (Total Wine & Spirits, Walk On’s, Fords Garage, Bone Fish, Bahama Breeze)
- Saturday, February 4th – 1 pm till 3 pm, Unity in the Community, Plant City Strawberry Festival Grounds
- Thursday, February 9th through Sunday, February 12th – Florida State Fair
“As in many previous years, we are honored to have the Clydesdales in Tampa to celebrate the capture of the City of Tampa, once again. Our tradition of surprising a lucky consumer on Gasparilla Eve with a home delivery by these giants will continue this year as well”, said Oytun Tutuncu, Interactive Marketing Manager at Pepin Distributing Company.
Canadians of Scottish descent brought the first Clydesdales to America in the mid-1800’s. Today, the giant draft horses are used primarily for breeding and show.
Horses chosen for the Budweiser Clydesdale hitch must be at least three years of age, stand approximately 18 hands – or six feet – at the shoulder, weigh an average of 2,000 pounds, must be bay in color, have four white legs, and a blaze of white on the face and black mane and tail. A gentle temperament is very important as hitch horses meet millions of people each year.
A single Clydesdale hitch horse will consume as much as 20-25 quarts of feed, 40-50 pounds of hay and 30 gallons of water per day. Each hitch travels with a Dalmatian. In the early days of brewing, Dalmatians were bred and trained to protect the horses and guard the wagon when the driver went inside to make deliveries.